Monday, January 18, 2010

A time called away from where we may want to be

This weekend I had the opportunity to work our Student Life Ski event in Boone, NC. It was a great event and good times spent with friends. But, with the busy and crazy weekend, I feel like I have gotten off my regular schedule. Nevertheless, I am trying to keep on track. Today's reading was more about Jacob and the time he spent away from home working for Laban before God told him to go back to the land of his father. It got me thinking about being called to places that we may not want to be at the time. In Jacob's situation, there were other circumstances, but still, generally speaking, I think many of experience times when God calls us to be in a place, whether it may be physically or emotionally that we would rather not have to be for that period of time. Sometimes it is being called away from what is familiar and comforting. Sometimes it is being called to a place that is difficult and disheartening. Sometimes it is being called to a place where we may be emotionally pulled and grown. Whatever it may be, it is important that we always remember that it is a part of God's plan. I think sometimes during these times we are tempted to think that God has abandoned us. That we have somehow done something to be punished, and maybe if we are good enough, we will be brought back into God's plan. However, God is with us all the time, and is ultimately always working things together for good. Jacob is fortunate that his story kind of comes full circle. He is called back to the land of his father and is reconciled back to his brother Esau. This was possible because of Jacob's obedience to God's call. So, I wonder, where God may be calling me in the months and years to come. I wonder if it may be a call to move to the unknown, to stay, or to go back to the familiar. No matter what it is, I hope that I can be obedient with joy in my heart. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Today's reading: Genesis 30-33

"As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today." Genesis 50:20

No comments:

Post a Comment