Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Is anything too hard for the Lord?

As I read tonight in Genesis 17-19, specifically in Chapter 18, I thought a lot about Sarah and God's promise to her to deliver to her a son. Sarah simply laughs at this idea in her old age. This was clearly a dream that Sarah had long since given up on. A promise she chose to forget in her impatience in regards to God's timing. But God does deliver. Not in Sarah's timing, but in His own. I admit that this is one of the things I struggle with the most about God. His timing. Yes, I know its true and my mind understands, but my soul aches sometimes that God's timing would just correspond with my own. Like Sarah, I know there are times that I take a period of silence from God on an issue as a "no" when maybe it is just "wait." And its just like God to deliver when it is least expected. To give a son to an older woman who had given up on a dream. But then, it only shows his glory more. As if Sarah could have ever really taken credit for her own pregnancy, but here in this situation, it only makes God that much bigger and greater. It reminds us of those facts that we so often forget. I love when he states, "Is anything too hard for the Lord?" in Genesis 18:13. What a reminder that nothing is too hard for our God. I think this story also shows that our God is one who keeps His promises. How often we forget that as well. How often we chuckle like Sarah when we think that God has forgotten us and our afflictions. How often we think he has neglected our needs and desires. How foolish we are to forget that God always, always, always keeps his promises. Praise God for all His great promises!

Todays Reading: Genesis 17-19

"And he believed the Lord, and he counted it to him as righteousness" Genesis 15:6

Sidenote for the night: I am not a fan of Lot. I don't know what it is about him, but every part of the Bible that mentions him I just find that he rubs me the wrong way. Offering his daughters to strange men of Sodom...and then his daughters decide instead of going and finding their own mate, they'll just sleep with their father? That's just one weird family line if you ask me. I know God works everything together for good...but really? There are just some parts of the Bible, and people in the Bible, that I will never understand this side of Heaven. But I guess, as always, it shows a picture of broken people in need of a redeemer. But still...a bit weird to me. That's my randomness for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment