Thursday, January 21, 2010

A heavy heart...

Today, I just have a heavy heart. Compassion International sent out its first reports from Haiti. Three of the five projects we visited while we were there were directly impacted by the earthquake. At least 100+ children have died and more are injured to varying degrees. It is news that is hard to hear. The reality is that I assumed news like this was coming, but you hope and you pray that it won't be the case. That somehow all of the children would have gotten out safe. But that is not reality. The reality is that Haiti will never be the same. Ever. It will forever be marked in some way by this tragedy. It is another scar that the people of Haiti will carry on their hearts. While it all breaks my heart, I still can't wrap my head around the fact that the pictures I see are of the places I was just a little over a year ago. That the beautiful hotel that we ate dinner in with LDP students is a pile of rubble. That a city has literally been destroyed. I know I feel that I am being redundant lately in this blog as it seems that all I can talk about is Haiti. But it is what is on my mind and heart. And today was tough to think about the faces of children we spent time with and wonder if they are okay or not.

I have to keep reminding myself that God is sovereign. He is in control. He will bring beauty from the ashes. He is healer and provider. He loves. He cares. He hurts too. I know that he is with the people of Haiti just the way he was with Joseph. That in both terrible and good times in Joseph's life, God was with him and had a plan for his life. It is situations like these that remind us that God really is the only one in control. We fool ourselves into thinking that when things are good that we had something to do with it, when in reality, all that is good in us and everything good that happens to us comes from God. So tonight I pray that God will bring the same comfort and peace to Haiti tonight as he did to Joseph on both his good and bad days.

Today's Reading: Genesis 41-43

"As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today." Genesis 50:20

No comments:

Post a Comment