Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Lord said go...

Genesis 12 begins saying, "Now the Lord said to Abram, Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you." I wonder how Abram felt when God said this. Along with this statement, God also promised Abram that he would make him a great nation. That He would protect him and provide for him and his offspring. How exciting and scary all at the same time. While Abram was chosen and blessed, I feel that God makes similar calls on each of our lives today. He has a purpose for each and every one of us that often calls us away from the familiar. It sometimes calls us away from our family. I have experienced this a couple times in my life. Times when God called me away from the comfort of family and home to go to the new place that He had for me. Each time, while there was some fear in the beginning, I found peace in God's call and his promise that he would take care of me. Brad & I are now facing a "sort-of" transition in our life now. We feel at peace that this will be our last summer traveling during the summer with Student Life. We also know that it seems best for us to stay here in Birmingham at least until next May so that I can complete my degree in Elementary Education. From there we really don't know what will happen. We are trusting that we know as much as we need to right now. That if we knew what next year and the year after would bring, we would be distracted from where God has called us to be right now. So we are patient, and believe like always, that God has a plan and that the plan is good. We don't know now whether He will call us to "go" or to "stay"...either could be scary. Either will be new. We will either be going to a new place, or we will be in the same place in a new situation. So for now we trust. We do the best with what God has currently entrusted to us and we are at peace that for this day, month, year, or season of life, we are in His will. I am thankful for this year in our church. This challenge to grow, study the word, and learn more about the nature of God. I feel that for me, it is divine timing. Time to refocus, time to learn, time to grow...until the next time he says, "Go."

Today's Reading: Genesis 12 & 13

"And he believed the Lord, and he counted it to him as righteousness." Genesis 15:6

No comments:

Post a Comment