Monday, January 11, 2010

So many questions...

Why is it that so often when God calls us to something or tells us that something will be, we respond in a question? In Genesis 15, as Abram reflects on the promise of God to make him the father of many nations, and asks, "O Lord God, what will you give me, for I continue childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer or Damascus?" As the Lord again confirms his promise to Abram when he says "Look toward the heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them...So shall your offspring be." God also reminds him that He is the one that brought him out from Ur to this new land to possess. And again, Abram with the questions, asks "O Lord God, how am I to know I shall possess it?" Over and over again, God confirms His promise and covenant to Abram and how does Abram respond? He and his wife Sarai concoct their human plan to solve the problem and decide to have Hagar carry an heir of Abram. Oh Abram, oh Sarai, oh....US. Maybe we have never had this exact scenario play out in our lives, but how often to we draw impatient and forsake the promises that God has made to us for our own selfish ambitions? I often find myself antsy when thinking about what God may have for my future. I would like to say if God gave me the same confirmations as He did Abram it would satisfy me, but in reality, I too would probably ask questions. What is it about our human nature that causes us to be so impatient? Why can't we just trust, believing that God does have a plan for us and will be our provider? Why are we deceived into believing that our plans are better than the one who loves us and created us? This is so often our weakness. Especially when God is calling us or directing us. So I speak as much to myself as anyone else who may be reading when I say, Be still...be still and know that He is God. Trust...trust that He knows us and His plans our best. Believe...believe in the peace the Spirit brings when God is directing. When I think about the idea of questioning God, it seems absurd, and yet, I know that I do it all the time. So the challenge is to just find comfort that He is God and sometimes that is all we need to understand.

Today's Reading: Genesis 14-16

"And he believed the Lord, and he counted it to him as righteousness." Genesis 15:6

No comments:

Post a Comment