Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It grieved him to his heart...

"And the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the Lord was sorry that he had made man on earth, and it grieved him to his heart." Genesis 6:5&6.

Talk about the gravity of sin. It grieved him to his heart. That's a statement that slices through me when I think of the many things I must have done to grieve God. I think its easy for us to distance ourselves from Christ and to think he is a big God up there somewhere that just doesn't really care much about us one way or the other. But that couldn't be any further from the truth. These verses describe a time when God looked upon the earth and regretted that he even created man. His heart was broken. He was grieved by our actions. I think it always hurts more when someone we love disappoints us or hurts us. It is only because of His great love for us, that in turn he felt such great grief. The even crazier thing about the whole story...Noah. One man who found favor with God in the midst of all the mess. I know is says that Noah was "a righteous man, blameless in his generation," but I still wonder what else Noah did and what kind of person he was to be the one who gained favor for himself and his family with God. And what faith he showed. Really...God told him to build a huge boat because the earth was going to flood...when there had never even been rain before? Not only that, but God gave pretty specific directions for how to build it. I wonder if I would respond in the way Noah did, or if I would just think I was going crazy. It also makes me wonder...what crazy thing may God call me to do? It may not be quite the task he asked of Noah, but it may seem just as crazy to me. A little bit like me going back to school. Really? I already had two degrees in another field of study, yet, about a year ago, I felt a strong calling to go back and get a degree in order to teach elementary school. I wonder if Noah felt some of the same things I have. Crazy at moments and wonder why in the world I am doing it, but at other moments (and they come more often) feelings of complete peace and assurance that I am exactly where God wants me. I know going back to school in order to be a teacher seems miniscule in light of building an ark, but for me, it was at least an "ark like" calling. I've had to check my pride and learn how to be a student again, but I have also found great joy in finding something I am truly passionate about. Something I know God has called me to do. So I guess I'll wrap up tonight's thoughts with just a couple more. One, I hope and pray I never do anything that grieves the heart of God the way it was in this chapter. I can almost not bear the thought. Second, I hope I would have a heart and faith like Noah. That I might be willing to do the craziest of things that God may call me to do. Even putting that into words fills my heart with fear, as I think sometimes God's plans for me are much scarier than my plans for myself. I must always remember, His plans may bring fear, but His plans are always good. His plans are always BEST.

Today's Reading: Genesis 6&7

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment